Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shakti in the Air

Have you every walked into a new yoga studio or meditation center that you've never been to before and felt a vibration or thickness to the air?  Well, for me that is shakti.  Shakti is primal energy.  Shakti is the goddess whose consort is Shiva.  Their union is an expression of the Absolute. The shakti is everywhere, but when its concentrated, you can really feel it.

 It happens to me when I see my spiritual teacher, Amma (Mata Amritandamayi) when she is on tour in the states.  You walk into the hall and boom, the air is so thick, you can hardly move.  Any true master has shakti that pervades the air, and they can also create a stillness so conducive for meditation.

Just the other day, I visited a new account and went into the studio and it was if the entire room was vibrating. Sometimes, I get this intense feeling from artwork, statues, or music.  Especially, when I'm playing music that expresses love for the Divine.  I felt that way the first time I walked into Lotus Sculpture's showroom.

I'd be really happy to know your experiences.  Feel free to comment or describe what you have felt.

Thank you.

Dave from devotionalarts.net

11 comments:

Kyle Tortora said...

Dave…I have witnessed that feeling or experience of Shakti come across peoples faces when they enter the Lotus Sculpture showroom. I think it catches people a little off guard to come from the “outside world” and suddenly enter into a setting filled with so many gods and goddesses. It is rewarding for me to witness the “glow” on people’s faces as they see so many divine figures reflected in their eyes.

Tim said...

As a non-Hindu I have even felt the energy in the air from being around all the amazing statues. The first couple of times being down there I didn't even realize what it was that I was feeling. As I learned more about the Religion and the different Gods I soon began to truly appreciate the spiritual power that this incredibly large collection of Hindu statues had over me!

Anonymous said...

IN December 2006, I visited an exhibition at The Royal Academy of Art in London entitled 'Chola: Sacred Bronzes of Southern India'. What I saw had an unexplainable deep effect on me but it was not until I came across the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) in London that I began to learn about who is Shiva, Ganesh, Krishna, etc. in a sound and logical manner. I now worship Lord Laxmi Narasimha and Sri Gopal 'murtis' at home and chant the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra. Thank you to those anonymous sculptors whose work of art have aroused in me the seed of devotion to God. [Maurice, London, UK]

Anonymous said...

David

Your words were beautiful..I feel you.I knwo what you mean ..I teach yoga at a studio ..I have had comment about that too when I been in the studio teaching.But nothing is like the present of yes Amma...
Cant wait to see her again
Devote
Isabella

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Being a devotee of Amma, I too know this Shakti you speak of. She IS shakti. Her every action displays the Self. Jai ma.